Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Meatless Monday

Week 2 of "Meatless Monday", I know it's Tuesday but we'll get to that later, we had a pretty delicious, if I do say so myself, tofu stir-fry.  Surprisingly my boy loved the tofu so much he gobbled up all of his tofu bites before I even sat down to eat my dinner. Claire on the other hand? Well she ate her rice. I think this week probably wasn't as satisfying or exciting for Kyle as last week but I thought it was delicious and plan to eat some more for lunch today. 


(food can be so pretty)
 
I don't really have a recipe for this week because I usually just wing it when I do a stir fry. But here are my tips for a delicious tofu stir fry.
 
1. Use extra firm tofu and cut it in about 1" cubes, this way when you stir it around it won't crumble as much and make a mess.
 
2. I also start with my onions and garlic to infuse the flavor into the oil then add the peppers followed by carrots and broccoli. 
 
3. Always put your tofu in last!  The less you have to stir it around the better.
 
4.  Ginger! I love ginger! Ginger and a little sesame oil makes any stir fry amazing if you ask me.
 
5. Find a good low sodium stir fry sauce or teriyaki sauce to throw in to make it that much easier.  (For this one I took the short cut and used the Kikkoman low sodium teriyaki sauce/marinade)  Just a little goes a long way.
 
(Yummo!)
 
 
We had ours over white rice but any type would be delicious, even just by itself it's delicious.
 
 
I can't say if my husband enjoys meatless Mondays or not but I am liking them so far.  It's making me think outside of my recipe box (haha) and, in future recipes, try things we've never done/had.  On the menu for next week?  Lasagna roll ups, I know that was supposed to be this week but I switched it up a little.
 
What is your favorite meatless recipe?  I will accept any and all suggestions.   

 


1 comment:

  1. Hot and Spicy tofu it's on allrecipes Shawn makes it all the time

    ReplyDelete