Monday, January 27, 2014

Meatless Monday

This weeks meatless recipe was a delicious veggie bean soup packed with so many vegetables I think we could have skipped vegetables all day and still met our daily suggested servings.  It was a very hearty, filling soup and it went so well with cornbread.  The kids weren't crazy about it but they never really like soups unless it's tortellini or tomato soup with grilled cheese sandwiches.  The husband is trying a new low carb "diet" so I let him cheat and added ground turkey to his bowl for some extra protein. Cheater!  He did pack some for his lunch tomorrow so he must have thought it was pretty good. That's always exciting, he's not big on soup either.  I found the recipe here and it's a great base, the broth was delicious.  As always I tweaked it to my liking and I doubled the recipe so I could put some away in the freezer.  I used 4 cans of beans, kidney, black, cannellini and black eyed peas.   I also left out the sweet potatoes and added eggplant, I was worried the eggplant might get slimy but it stayed nice and firm and delicious.  It's definitely one for the rotation.  I could switch up the veggies and add meat and it work just as well.



In other news, everyone is still sick at my house.  We ended up at the pediatricians office today to make sure no one had an ear infection.  No infection just a bunch of fluid.  One thing I love about my pediatrician is that he doesn't just hand out antibiotics at the first sign of snot.  It's so great to find a doctor that shares your ideas and we have found a great one.  We just got some drops for the pain and directions to have lots of snuggles and that is definitely what we did all afternoon. It's back to school for the big tomorrow though, momma needs to go for a run/walk before she turns into Medusa for real.  Adrien compared me to Medusa this morning, he just learned about her in his snake facts book. I'm not sure if it's because I'm mean or because my hair was insane this morning. Either way we really need to get back to our normal routine over here.   

(sick day snuggles)


No comments:

Post a Comment